JVG award for sportsmanship and coaching excellence
This award is in recognition of one of Stealers past players, John van Geldermalsen who was tragically lost to us in a drowning accident.
He epitomised how to play the game, never arguing an umpires decision, he got on with playing ball and was an exceptional coach and mentor to all who had the honour of playing with him.
J.V.G Award Criteria
- Has played the game in the “Spirit of the Game” through his/her Leadership and Sportsmanship.
- Has been inspirational in his/her coaching of the team.
- Has accepted the umpire’s decision without showing dissent.
- Has maintained control of his / her team at times of disagreement with the umpire’s decision.
- Has not engaged in back chatting with the umpire, players or spectators.
- Has diffused player conflict with opposing teams
JVG Award Recipients
- 2011 – John van Geldermalsen – posthumously
- 2012 – Gordon Fraser
- 2013 – Harm Drenth
- 2014 – no recipient